Mental Health Interpreting
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) safeguards you, your career and the public.
Developed and presented by subject expert, Margaret Du Feu, for Communication Professionals this activity will develop your competence and performance whilst contributing towards your CPD portfolio (1 CPD point).
- Identify the needs of a deaf patient in Mental Health environment
- Understand the difficulties of interpreting cognitive testing instructions
- Recognise the importance of confidentiality in Mental Health environment
- Demonstrate how to support a deaf patient during their Mental health assessment interview
- Recognise how Mental health conditions impact a deaf patient
- Identify challenges interpreters are faced with – both professional and emotional
Dr Margaret Du Feu qualified in medicine at New Hall Cambridge and The London Hospital and has received an OBE for her services to deaf people in Northern Ireland.
She started training in psychiatry in 1983. In 1991 she was appointed in Birmingham to develop the third service in England (after Manchester and London) for Mental Health and Deafness. In 2003 she started working half the week in Northern Ireland and in 2005 left Birmingham to include the Republic of Ireland in her work.
Her main focus, now, is on increasing awareness of mental health issues for Deaf people, and on teaching mental health professionals about Deafness. She has been involved in preparing teaching material in writing and on DVDs and lectures widely.